Leipzig is a place of medical excellence
Centre for medicine and life sciences
The medical faculty at the University of Leipzig, founded in 1415, is now the second oldest medical training centre in Germany. With its 21 institutes, centres and departments, it is one of the largest research institutions of its kind in Germany. The University Hospital in Leipzig is also a broadly based organisation with its 28 clinics and polyclinics, together with seven institutes. The Leipzig Heart Centre, the Municipal St. Georg Hospital, the Association for the Promotion of the Healthcare Industries in the Leipzig Region and the Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology (IZI) all go to enrich the City's medical landscape, as does the interdisciplinary BIO CITY LEIPZIG.
High achievements in crucial disciplines
The outstanding achievements of the 150 or so institutes and clinics in the fields of surgery, cardiology, transplant medicine, neuromedicine, sports medicine, gerontology, burns treatment, orthopaedics, stem cell research and regenerative medicine have enjoyed international recognition.
More detailed information on the organisations, clinics and institutes can be found here:
- Leipzig University Hospital
- Herzzentrum Leipzig (Leipzig Heart Centre)
- Städtisches Klinikum St. Georg (Municipal St. Georg Hospital)
- Verein zur Förderung der Gesundheitswirtschaft in der Region Leipzig (Association for the Promotion of the Healthcare Industries in the Leipzig Region)
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Zelltherapie und Immunologie IZI (Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology)
- BIO CITY LEIPZIG